Monday 18 February 2013

More apps learned from the webinars...

The next webinar I decided to watch was on "Communication Disorders".

The three most useful apps I learned about were the following:

Proloquo2go- is an  that is $189, but worth the money. It is very user friendly by both teachers and students. I was glad to find out more information on this app as I missed our class where we were introduced to it and had the opportunity to use it hands on. It was actually one of the main AAC devices advertised at the Florida conference I attended, but I was still not able to use it there. However, I think it says something when it is being advertised and used in the United States as well. I was impressed by how there are 8000 built in features in Proloquo2go and how adapted you can make it based on the users functioning ability (mainly for students who are non-verbal and have communication disorders). Just from learning about the other AAC devices out there, I do not feel they are as adaptive as this one. The ability to create folders, its word prediction and the options to change the voices are all very impressive!
I found this interesting video on how much time and research actually goes into developping the speech to text in programs such as Proloquo2go:
 

MyVoice- it is an AAC app aimed towards non-verbal students where you can access support online after setting up an account (http://myvoiceaac.com/app/talkrocketgo/).  It seems to be very user friendly with many tutorials available on its website. You can change any photo by pressing on it and choosing photos from your own camera roll. I find the insertion of your own images makes this app very personal. You can download pre-made folders and change the cells around once you have saved it. What’s neat about this app, is since you have to create an account on the website, it allows you to open up the account on different devices and share the created folders. It is also good for users who need to rest their vocal cords but continue to communicate with others. I will remember this one next time I lose my voice in school and want a fun but educational way to communicate with me students! J  

Sign4me- I enjoyed this app for many reasons. One main reason is that it is very affordable at $9.99 and it is very user friendly. It’s like having a translator in your pocket, as you are also able to type in English words or phrases and the avatar will sign for you right away.  It is so neat that you can turn your avatar around to see different angles (I think my students would enjoy that part especially). You are also able to bank your words or phrases and if someone doesn’t know sign language they are also able to follow along and learn as the words are displayed below the avatar. I wish this would have been available to me as a kid, as I had two Deaf grandparents. It was very difficult for me to communicate with them at a young age. I feel a program like this would really interest kids and adults in learning sign language more quickly and in a fun way.
This YouTube video gives a great summary using the app to sign its features:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment